ART OF MEDICINE 2017
CASE-STUDY METHOD IN TEACHING PHARMACOLOGY FOR STUDENTS OF MEDICAL FACULTY
O.М. Oleshchuk, A.V. Chornomydz, S.L. Malanchuk, O.Ya. Drapak, Ya.I. Ivankiv
Abstract. Nowadays, the students' personality and ability to make individual decisions in the new socio - economic conditions, for the successful training of highly qualified specialists are taken into account. Due to the ineffective use of traditional teaching methods in high school, today's main methodological innovations relate precisely to the use of interactive methods and technologies, in which each student participates in the discussion and contributes to solving the task by sharing knowledge and ideas. Interactive teaching methods, in particular case-method, are used now not only in the teaching of clinical disciplines, but also in theoretical, including pharmacology. Advantages of the case-study method are to obtain skills for solving real problems, the possibility of group work on a single problem field, while the process of study simulates the mechanism of decision-making in clinical practice; it is more adequate to the life situation than learning the text with the subsequent remittance.
The article presents the results of literature analysis and our own experience of using the case-method in teaching pharmacology. We consider the main advantages of the use of the interactive method of training, the methodology of conducting occupations in pharmacology using the case-method and the features of assessment of students. The article provides examples of case summarizing, especially the use of such interactive methods as "brainstorming", "tree solutions", etc.
Because of the literature analysis, it has been established that the case-study method influences on the profession of students, generates interest and positive motivation in relation to learning. Using this method of training the result is not important as much as the process of finding it, because in this way the professional qualities of a doctor can be developed.
It should be noted that the technique of case studies couldn’t replace completely a practical occupation in pharmacology. The case-study method must be used in organic unity with other teaching methods, including the traditional ones, which impose mandatory normative knowledge on students. Case method allows evaluating objectively knowledge, practical skills, professional skills of students, can develop the clinical thinking of each individual student and his intellectual potential.
The usage of a case-method during practical classes of pharmacology increases the effectiveness of the teacher of the department and promotes its professional growth. In this case, the teacher acts as an expert and consultant, helping the student navigate the world of scientific information.
Thus, the use of a case-method for teaching pharmacology has a significant impact on the professionalization of students, generates interest and positive motivation for learning and further practical activities. Case method allows to evaluate objectively knowledge, practical skills, professional skills of students, develops the clinical thinking of each individual student and his intellectual potential. When using practically oriented teaching methods, the principle of shifting the role of the teacher from the translation of knowledge to the organization of the process of obtaining them is used.
Full text: PDF (Rus)
- Nikitina IL., Ivanova OA, Alekhin EK. Izucheniye obshchey farmakologii v vysshey shkole: rol alternativnykh tekhnologiy. Sovremennyye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya. 2016; 3. Available from: https://www.science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=24649
- Kovalenko IV, Kolesnichenko PD, Lapteva VI. Ispolzovaniye metodov case-study i «mozgovogo shturma» pri obuchenii v vysshikh meditsinskikh uchebnykh zavedeniyakh. Lichnost. semia i obshchestvo: voprosy pedagogiki i psikhologii. 2014; 4 (39). Chast I. – Novosibirsk: SibAK.
- Zhumatova MG, Myrzabayeva NA, Kayyrbekov AK. Metod keys-stadi v obuchenii studentov v vuze. Vestnik KazNMU. 2015; 1: 390-391.
- Vora MB, Shah CJ. Case-based learning in pharmacology: Moving from teaching to learning. Int J App Basic Med Res. 2015. 5, S1: 21-23.
- McLean SF. Case-Based Learning and its Application in Medical and Health-Care Fields: A Review of Worldwide Literature. Journal of Medical Education and Curricular Development. 2016; 3: 39–49.
- Krushynska TIu, Stepanskyi DO, Khomiak OV, Koshova IP. Interaktyvni metody navchannia na zaniattiakh z bazovykh medyko-biolohichnykh dystsyplin. Aktualni pytannia medytsyny : mater. mizhnar. nauk.-metod. konf. 2016. р 117-123.
- Steinert Y, Snell L. Interactive lecturing: strategies for increasing participation in large group presentations. Medical Teacher. 1999; 21(1): 37-42.
- Thirunavukkarasu J, Latha K, Sathish Babu C. A Study on Effectiveness of Different Teaching Methodology in Pharmacology for Under Graduate Students. Asian J. Exp. Biol. Sci. 2011; 2(3): 487–492.
- Levkiv MO. Zastosuvannia keis-metodu u fakhovii pidhotovtsi studentiv-inozemtsiv na kafedri terapevtychnoi stomatolohii. Medychna osvita. 2016; 3: 71-74
- Syvolap VD. Soloviuk OO. Keis-metod u protsesi vykladannia klinichnoi dystsypliny. Suchasni pidkhody do vyshchoi medychnoi osvity v Ukraini: materialy XIV Vseukr. nauk.-prakt. konf. z mizhnar. uchastiu, prysviachenoi 60-richchiu TDMU (Ternopil, 18–19 trav. 2017 r.). Ternopil : TDMU. 2017; 2: 127-128.
- Skrinnik ZE editor Psykholohiia i pedahohika. Provedennia indyvidualnoho zaniattia za metodom analizu konkretnykh navchalnykh sytuatsii (case study) : Navchalno-metodychnyi posibnyk. Lviv: LIBS UBS NBU.2012. 145 р.