ART OF MEDICINE 2017
THE WAYS OF IMPROVEMENT OF THE IV-V COURSE STUDENTS PREPARATION TO THE FINAL STATE CERTIFICATION AT THE DEPARTMENT OF PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY
G.M. Melnychuk, S.A. Kril, I.S. Lisetska
Abstract. The article highlights the peculiarities of undergraduate students training before the final state certification at the Department of Pediatric Dentistry of Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University in a credit transfer system.
Analysis of the previous testing results from five profile disciplines has revealed the most difficult themes for mastering. Few topics from the subject “pediatric therapeutic dentistry” were determined by students as “confusing” and “complicated”. Among them are questions from the following chapters: “Clinical manifestation, diagnostics, differential diagnostics and treatment of pulpitis and periodontitis of primary and permanent teeth in children” and “Oral mucosa diseases in children”.
In order to improve the mastery of theoretical material, to develop the professional skills and clinical thinking it is suggested to include situational tasks of III and IV complexity levels and additional explanations (diagrams, tables, X-rays, photographs, analyzes) in the general scheme of practical classes conducting from the above-mentioned subject.
The combination of different teaching methods improves the quality of teaching. For instance, it makes possible to explain educational material more clearly and accessibly, contributing to raising the level of theoretical knowledge of students, as well as improving their professional skills.
- 1. Situational tasks of the III-IV level of complexity and additional explanations (diagrams, tables, X-rays, photographs, analyzes) are an effective form of mastering the theoretical material from the subject being studied. Analysis of the different clinical cases, which are described in such situational tasks, allows to make a decision concerning the choosing of modern diagnostic methods or treatment of dental diseases in children.
- 2. Using such situational tasks, the teacher can objectively evaluate not only theoretical knowledge of the student, but also the practical skills acquirement. It is a simple and effective way to identify the level of student’s preparation.
- 3. Regular solving of situational tasks and usage of some illustrative material helps students to structure and analyze the teaching material. In combination with traditional testing, it contributes to better learning, clinical skills and students' creative thinking developing.
Full text: PDF (Rus)
- Bulakh I.Ye., Volosovets O.P., Kazakov V.M. [Medychna osvita v sviti ta v Ukraini]. Kiev, Knyha plus; 2007:384.
- Bulakh I.Ye., Volosovets O.P., Kazakov V.M. [Systema zabezpechennya yakosti pidgotovky medychnykh kadriv v Ukraini]. Kiev, Knyha plus; 2007:40.
- Pro zatverdzhennya Polozhennya pro systemu litsenziynykh integrovanykh ispytiv fakhivtsiv z vyschoyu osvitoyu napryamiv “Medytsyna” i “Farmatsiya”: nakaz MOZ Ukrainy vid 14.08.1998. № 251.
- Lyst MOZ Ukrainy vid 15.04.2014. № 08.01-47/10395 “Instruktsiya schodo otsinyuvannya navchalnoi diyalnosti studentiv v umovakh vprovadzhennya Evropeyskoi kredytno-transfernoi systemy organizatsii navchalnogo protsesu”.
- Pro zatverdzhennya Polozhennya pro organizatsiyu ta poryadok provedennya derzhavnoi atestatsii studentiv, yaki navchayutsya u vyschykh navchalnykh zakladakh ІІІ–ІV rivniv akredytatsii za napryamom pidgotovky “Medytsyna”: nakaz MOZ Ukrainy vid 31.01.2005. № 53.
- Levkiv M.O. Zastosuvannya keys-metodu u fakhoviy pidgotovtsi studentiv-inozemtsiv na kafedri terapevtychnoi stomatologii. Medychna osvita. 2016; 3: 71-74.